Thursday, July 10, 2014

Um ..... where did I put that page.

I have been revisiting some sites, blogs and posts this week that I need to keep close to me.

This is meets my eye as I look round my study:


Every student in PR, marketing and economics should have read The Long Tail.

I keep talking about Transparency Porosity and Agency and need to be able to reference this page a lot. Peter Drucker saw what was coming and web 2.0 years before it arrived and is mega relevant today.

Applying Communications Models was an important paper in its day. So was Share This Too and then there is Reputation Economics ... I need to re-read them all.


Blazing Netshine has coloured my thinking for such a long time (and has morphed, I now discover) that I had to look at it again - not too rusty and I still like the title and some of the sentences I user e.g. "The digital riptide flows round historic information gatekeepers" and Prof Anne Gregory's comment "public relations practitioners `will also understand that complex feedbacks within and between systems and environment can create resonances that cannot be controlled and which may diminish or even contradict the desired result of communication.'"


The various versions of Online Public Relations have been interesting experiences too.


But here is a big question. Are the papers and books relevant any more?


So much emerges online and a lot of the real beef is available via mobile, should I be reading books at all.


Take Google Plus as an example.


The top gun is Martin Shervington. He could not possibly be relevant in a book. His subject is too fast moving.

So, I am now going to work on how I can keep up my reading on a mobile phone.


Here is how I can start beginning with Drucker.



Its the way ahead.



Notes:

Phillips D, 2000 Blazing Netshine on the value network: Journal of Communication Management, Vol. 5, No. 2, 2000, pp. 189±206
Evans, P. and Wurster, W. S. (1999) `Blown to bits', Harvard Business School Press.
Drucker, P. F. (1994) `The age of social transformation', The Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 274, No. 5, pp. 53±80.


No comments:

Post a Comment